Located in London’s Holborn district, St Andrew’s Church has over 1000 years of history and today operates as a Guild Church.
The project encompassed most of the interior spaces including new stone flooring to the baptistry, sanctuary, lady chapel, and main nave as well as several other stone elements.
Due to the existing conditions in the original floor, the technical demands surrounding the selection of stones were challenging.
The stones chosen, Hopton Wood, Anglesey Grey and Stanhope Black are all British materials with a distinguished history of use for decorative interior work in many of the country’s grandest buildings.
Across the site the different sections of the site, the floor designs required exceptional accuracy and precision in detailing, manufacture and installation. To achieve the complex geometric intent and the very fine joints.
The new floor brings a sense of calm and light to the interior. The dark accents just off-grid suggest the ebb and flow of movement within a grand constellation and focus attention towards the liturgical high points.
Natural Stone Awards Winner 2020